Thursday, March 19, 2009

Hmmm, I guess . . . .

it's time for an update.
And for once I have 2 pieces of great CF news.

I went to see Dr. R a week after my hemo Hoag incident. He said it looked like I recovered nicely from the whole ordeal. But, I was concerned because I was very SOB. He said that was all too common after a major bleed. He said blood in the vessels is a very good thing, outside the vessels floating around body cavities is NOT a good thing. The old blood was creating all kinds of havoc for my small airways to function, hence the SOB. He said to expect about 6 weeks for the old blood in my lung cavity to completely absorb or cough out. I've clearly noticed less SOB over the last couple days and have actually been able to go on long walks and navigate the stairs much easier. Let's see, twas exactly a month ago tomorrow I had my embolization.
1 month = not bad for an old broad.

But the best CF change I've had is, TA DA . . .

I haven't had to take one enzyme since mid January, 
Woooo Hoooo!

And who knows why my pancreas has decided to start secreting digestive enzymes again. Even my Dr. is stumped. Last April, after my pancreatitis attack, my pancreas completely quit functioning. I was dependent on taking enzymes before everything I ate, or I'd have extreme stomach aches and some pretty nasty toilet incidents. It continued through Sept/Oct on our France trip, quite severely the whole trip, which I attributed to change of diet, time change, etc.

Then around Christmas time, I noticed that my bowels and digestion seemed more normal and I had no stomach aches. I was gaining weight too. I purposefully quit taking the enzymes when eating mild, low fat foods. Nothing happened, everything was normal. Yes! I gradually tapered off the enzymes with each meal until I was completely off. I've been totally back to normal since. I can't tell you how good it feels to eat 'normally' again and ditch 25-30 pills a day.

*shrugs, and then does the happy dance*

Good thing too, those suckers are expensive with a capital E . . . to the tune of about $2,000 for a month's supply. I was MORE than happy to stop taking them. In the mean time, my CF nutritionalist said she has heard this happen only a couple other times, but she will continue monitoring me and my progress. The only downside, but yet not really, I'm gaining weight easily. Proof again that my pancreas is indeed digesting and absorbing all the calories and nutrients my body needs.



So next time you see me, and I seem to have put on a few, 
congratulate me.
They be some well earned and welcome poundage. Munch, munch.

1 comment:

CowTown said...

I'll be sure to congratulate your new poundage when I see you next. I hope I remember. Lol

YAY for recovering well from that awful incident! That was so scary. I'm so happy you're doing well now!

:)

Cowtown