Wednesday, October 14, 2009

So soon?

Well, I wish it weren't true, but it is . . . I'm back in the hospital. Between 2 back to back colds, no rest, lots of stress, here I am again, less than 2 months since the last admit. I think this is the fastest turn around I've ever had. I'm expecting my Docs to keep me 'in' for the entire 2 weeks, to make sure I have a chance to rest my immune system from every day life. In a way, I'm not going to push for the second week on home IVs, because I know I need to recoup.

Besides, we are leaving on vacation in 3 weeks and I certainly want to be in tip top shape for all the fun we're going to have. We are taking Jen and the kids to Disney World on Nov. 8 - Nov. 16. We all have had a stressful year and NEED a break. Even though we really can't afford it, we decided since we sold the cabin, we'll use funds from the sale to finance our fun. Woo hoo, another wish scratched off my bucket list.

I just heard some awesome news this morning. A CF friend of mine, Katie who also goes to USC, got her call last night. The call that will forever change her life. She has been on the lung transplant list for 2 years. A match was made last night, and she headed to the hospital at 2am this morning. Late last night I heard the helicopter coming in and land on the roof. In my mind, I thought to myself, someone is getting a transplant of some sort. USC does transplants of every organ possible. Little did I know at the time, that delivery was more than likely Katie's lungs.

I have chills just knowing that she is 6 floors below me, getting her new lease on life. She is 28 and engaged to be married. I pray that Katie has a successful surgery, speedy recovery, and a great life to look forward to. I also want to say a prayer for the donor family for the loss of their loved one. They made the unselfish decision to give someone else life. And Katie said it best herself on her FB page as she was on her way to the hospital:

"Please pray for the family that has just lost their loved one. Our joy is their sadness."

Godspeed Katie!

2 comments:

CowTown said...

Bummer Jodi that you're in lock up! However, I'm not surprised considering everything that has been going on. I'm sure you could use the full 2 weeks to get your game back on.

Rest and take care! Hugs...

Congratulations to Katie! I hope it all goes as smoothly as possible for her.

PeggyE said...

Jodi, Jodi, Jodi! SO Sorry to hear this news! Well you will be in kick-ass shape for The Mouse! The story of your friend is quite touching. If you have news, please let us know how she is doing in her recovery. Prayers to you both. I am assuming you get to take your computer with with on these hospital trips, not that I wouldn't want to throw mine across the room more times than naught, I'd still feel "unconnected" with out it. Keep on healing...