Monday, December 29, 2008

A new normal

What is considered normal anywoo??

I do know what my 'normal' feels like, at least in the world of CF.

Since summer, my normal has changed. I'm not sure if my sinus surgery and anesthesia had a hand in triggering the change or not. But I definitely have lost some lung function over the last 5 months. Lately I've been short of breath doing simple things like casually walking, eating or talking. Grrrrrrrr. I don't like it one bit. I don't like feeling like I've just taken a run up the block after eating a bowl of cheerios.

The numbers don't lie. I had a clinic appt today, and yep, my PFTs are down, down from just 12-8-08 release from the hospital. I really didn't need a PFT test to tell me that, I knew. So after having my PFT's stable at around 55%, give or take, the last 8 years, my new baseline PFT is at 50%. A huge difference to lose in just 5 months. A huge difference in the world of breathing.

My doctor went over my chest xrays and CT scans since April. I've had significant progression in my lower left lobe area. This is the same area I had carved up and pieces removed almost 9 years ago. My poor itty bitty left lung has finally given in and up. I virtually have very little lung function left there, trapping secretions in dead spaces. Again no surprise to me. I can feel that area fill up with goo, gurgling and whistling as I breathe. Yes, you can hear it from the outside of me.

I am actually blessed my surgery 9 years ago kept my left lung viable as long as it did. My thoraxic surgeon at the time, said he would be happy with a 5 year success. He said that if the partial removal didn't work, I may be facing a total left lung removal down the road. I'm at the end of that road now.

I discussed this option with my doc today. She said at the time, that may have been the case, but not now. My right lung has also progressed, although not nearly as bad as my left. If we were to remove my left lung, my right lung alone would only be under 40% lung function, which is nearing transplant talk time. So transplant is my only next option.

So I am now to become more 'aggressive' with my treatments to target my left side. Gotta keep the goo-pooling from growing bacteria and bugs that make me sick. Lying on my right side, on a 60 degree slant, head down, and either use my vest and or have Terry beat me, LOL! Good old PD & P - Postural drainage and percussion. This is in addition to the already 2-3 full on treatments I already religiously practice.

Meh, so CF is my whole life . . . it is my full time job.
I always knew this day would come.
This is my new normal.

No comments: