Friday, January 9, 2009

Guinea pig

Awwww, isn't she cute?



No, she is not my new pet, but rather . . .
I am the guinea pig.

I am participating in a 42 day clinical trial study, starting next week. The first week I go to clinic for 3 days in a row, subjecting myself to many tests, blood, PFTs, sputum samples etc as I take the drug Doxycycline daily. Then, my clinic visits become weekly thereafter until the study concludes.

The study will determine the effect of Doxycycline use and inflammation of the lungs. The use of anti-inflammatory drugs as treatment for CF has been shown to be beneficial in reducing inflammation and the amount of pulmonary function decline in CF.

It is so important for CFers to volunteer and participate in clinical studies and trials. Since CF is considered an orphan disease, no drug research or funding is done on a federal level. We rely on the CF foundation, our clinics and ourselves as subjects to introduce new therapies and drugs into the pipeline, and eventually to market.

Snort, snort . . . guinea pigging I go . . . LOL.

No comments: