Monday, January 12, 2009

Oh crap, it's back!

This is not a good way to start a new year.
Yet, now I have some answers why my lung function is taking a dive.

Ugh, my nemesis MRSA is back!!!



I got an email from my CF nurse that my last culture from 12-29, showed this dastardly bug colonized and growing. I first contracted MRSA after my lung surgery in 2000. Until 2005, it was colonized but didn't give me any trouble. It just hung out enjoying the moist, warmth of my lungs.

In 2006 the bug counts began to rise uncontrollably and by 2007 it landed me in the hospital 5 times for rounds of IV Vancomyacin. Vanco literally ruins my kidneys, I almost ended up on dialisys that year. They switched from Vanco to Zyvox in Dec 2007, and that seemed to do the trick. I consistently cultured 5 random negative samples throughout last year, as recently as end of Nov. 08. Then, I was hospitalized on 12-1-08.

So guess what?
I'm convinced that I re-caught the MRSA from the hospital, it swarms with that crap. Even though I try to be careful and I am put in isolation, it still finds a way to sneak in.

I guess next time I'm in the hospital, I need to bring 2 tubs of lysol wipes and clean the room myself.

1 comment:

PeggyE said...

Jodi,
I've been following your story. You have had to go through so much! Can the MRSA be cleared up with antibotics? I'm sure that's not a simple answer. Grrrrrr...how frustrating to have to go to the hospital and then get sicker because of it! Keep hanging in there. We are all misfits in our own way :-) Keep writing. I think of your journey often.

Peggy E.